Planting season is under way and farmers are out in the fields. We’re excited to bring you the Top 10 Signs that Plant17 is in full swing! 1. Forecasting the weather with your crops. 2. You got a little too eager to plant and winter decided to pop in for a visit. 3. Seed, Seed, and more Seed! 4. Weather is monitored more than … Continue reading 10 Signs That It’s Planting Season
You can’t seem to keep work life and personal life separate. Hey- cows love toast too! Anything can happen on the farm..A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G! No matter how hard you try, you can’t seem to stay clean. Whether it’s working on equipment or tending to those animals- the dirt never leaves you! You can’t quite seem to get that work look off of you. It’s ok that it … Continue reading 10 Things that Irritate Every Farmer
With the markets the way they are, cutting costs around the farm has become as critical as ever to maintain a strong bottom line. Here are ten quick tips to cutting costs you may or may not have thought of! Watching the weight – cutting back the weight of your tractors can save 3 to 5 percent in fuel costs. Though it’s easier said than … Continue reading 10 Quick Tips to Cutting Costs on the Farm
Over the decades equipment and technology have changed how we live our everyday lives. We can drive our cars further before refueling, our television sets have evolved into flat screens, and our ovens use convection cooking to bake dinner faster. Advancements in equipment and technology are often moving so quickly that we don’t even realize the how much they’ve change our daily lives.
So let’s take a step back and look at how farm equipment has made our lives easier.
- Now you can check on where you got your tractor stuck! Thanks to computers and smartphones, you can keep track of your fields all from the comfort of your couch. You can even spot the exact spot you got that tractor stuck! Just ask this Farmer:
— Allen Meissner (@bigaljack) April 4, 2015
- GPS ability to document yields, application rates, and tillage practices – remember when you had to keep all that information in your head? Sure, you still do, but now you’ve got a back up to that noggin and that comes in the form of Precision Ag!
- The Mother Nature struggle – it’s a never ending battle. As soon as you start planting – rain. As soon as you need rain – no rain. Need some hail damage? Mother Nature has your back. Rainy day means sleeping in? Nope – there’s always work to do!
- Crops to plant – Corn is selling low, do you cut back or do you keep planting? Beans are predicted to be strong but will everyone else be planting bean as well. What about wheat? Deciding year to year on which crops to plant can be quite the struggle.
- Vacations – Vacations? That’s funny. Taking a vacation means making sure there is enough hired help to take care of the farm, feed the animals and make sure everything that could go wrong doesn’t. Is it worth the risk?
- No days off – you know that Friday feeling when your week is almost over and two days off is on the horizon? Yeah not many farmers do. The jobs keep coming – even on a Saturday.
- 16 hour days – Sun comes up, already working. Sun goes down, still working. The struggle is real when a work day is never just 8 hours – but 12, 13 even 16 hours. After all, you have to do what it takes to get the job done!
- Optimism – Keep your chin up! It’s harder than you think sometimes when the crop gets ruined mid-season by flooding or your bushels are off by a lot. The struggle to stay optimistic is real but maintaining optimism for next year is key.
- Appreciation – That moment when someone claims food comes from the grocery store. Farmers work so the world can eat, but the world doesn’t work to know how that food gets to their mouths. Farmers all struggle with uninformed people making claims about the crops they grow or the livestock they produce.
- Keeping your eyes on the road – all Farmers can relate to this – it’s almost impossible to drive down any road with fields and keep your eyes on the road. After all, there are fields to size up!
- Plant or harvest delays – you did all the work to get the planter ready and wait for it…RAIN. Ready to get chopping? Don’t tell Mother Nature!
- When sleep takes a back seat to the fields – #TeamNoSleep happens when Mother Nature and harvest or plant time get together and decide that for 3 days the weather will be perfect for getting the job done. If that means working under lights, so albeit, sleep isn’t that important right?
- Having fields miles from civilization – you know how that goes. Whether it’s that you’re starving or when you gotta go, you gotta go – this struggle involves some creativity if you know what we mean.
- The dirt and scents you can pick up – Whether it’s the smell of diesel, animals or anything in between – the sign a busy day isn’t complete without coming home smelling like something you’ve worked on or fed. You know you’ve really done it in when you need gasoline to get those hands clean!
- 5 MPH – Enough said. Trying to get through with a field before the storm comes? Hopefully 5mph is fast enough for ya!
- When the duals fall flat – it always happens in slow motion. There you are taking the duals off the tractor and it falls flat on the ground. Good luck getting them up. Just picturing it makes us cringe!
- The urge to smell fresh dirt – you know spring is coming when you get that urge – the urge to smell the fresh turned dirt. The struggle is real when that is months away!
- It’s always something – whether you’re stuck, something in the tractor goes wrong or the part you need won’t be in for a while – there’s always a struggle on the farm. But there’s no better way life to have than to face those struggles and still come out on top!